False accusations of stealing are more than just an insult; they endanger your future. That is because a conviction might result in a lengthy prison sentence or another severe punishment. If you wish to clear your name, you must defend yourself.
You may be at a loss regarding how to respond, given that you have committed no wrong. Your priority is to contact a burglary defense attorney to help you build your case and guide your actions. The attorneys at the Law Office of Jeff Manciagli have over thirty years of experience doing this and will take good care of you. They know how to get false burglary charges dismissed.
Ways to Fight a False Theft Charge
The five most effective defenses against burglary charges are:
- Factual innocence (you are not guilty of any wrongdoing)
- A lack of criminal intent
- You had a legitimate claim to possession of an item
- Your behavior was permitted (the landowner gave consent)
- You fell victim to police brutality
Lawyers specializing in criminal law play a crucial role here, as they can determine the most successful defense strategy in light of the evidence presented.
If you are accused of burglary, you could face serious criminal charges that will follow you for the rest of your life, as well as a lengthy prison sentence. Hiring legal representation can help you avoid these consequences and keep your record clean.
Crucial Things to Do After Being Wrongfully Charged with Burglary
Here are five measures to take if you have been accused of stealing in Georgia.
- Stay Calm
- Don’t panic. Panic will not help your defense, so stay calm. Never contact the individual who unjustly accused you, no matter how upset you are.
- Find Evidence
- The prosecutors need proof to imprison you. They will search. Also, you may have evidence that disproves your charge because it is false. Find witnesses, images, videos, cell phone records, texts, social media, bank information and anything else that can prove your innocence.
- Know Your Rights
- You have rights, regardless of what the police and accuser say. That holds even if you are arrested. Your freedom to refuse police questioning without counsel is crucial in this case. A lawyer can protect you from police attempts to frame you.
- Stay Silent
- Do not speak to anyone without a lawyer present. Also, do not discuss what happened with anyone until you talk to a lawyer. Remember that you were wrongly accused; therefore, you never know how someone might use what you say against you.
Consult an Attorney
Working with a criminal defense lawyer is crucial to contesting a fraudulent theft allegation. They will know how to defend you and find evidence. Furthermore, they will support you throughout the prosecution, pursuing the best outcome.
If you need an Atlanta burglary defense attorney, reach out to the Law Office of Jeff Manciagli for a complimentary case evaluation today.
Posted on behalf of
66 Lenox Pointe NE, Building #66
Atlanta, GA 30324
Phone: (404) 642-9080
Monday & Tuesday 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM
Wednesday & Thursday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM